#21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

Hi Marilyn!

Did I maybe make a mistake when I posted my figures? 200 calories?Me? Not in this life! I stay under 2000 calories and waaaaaay under 20 carbs, daily, however. I am not hungry, unless I have exercised a lot that day.

I personally think that rule of ten is nonsense- way too high, if we want to lose weight! If I followed that, I could eat 3000 calories a day! Don't I wish! It's all based on simple math: your BMR plus your calories spent in daily activities and exercise (which for me averages about 3400 a day) That is what you theoretically could eat and maintain your current weight. Then subtract the calories you actually do eat, and that represents weight burned off. In theory, every 3500 calories lost equals a pound.Where the low carb comes in is that being in ketosis reduces your hunger, so you automatically cut down the calories, as you have noticed. So big gals like us can lose maybe 3 pounds or more a week without starving to death!

The problem happens later on, as you get smaller- when I get down to say 180, then my BMR plus exercise will be about 2000 calories, so I will have to eat much less to even lose a pound a week. That is the main reason for stalls as you get near goal- you either have to exercise a lot more,be content with a slower weight loss, or crunch calories a lot too.

At this stage of the game, you are losing great and don't feel cravings or hunger, so I would just keep on doing what you are doing. You don't have to get all complicated and count calories! Just worry about that if you start to slow down and want to know what is going on.

I would stringly recommend that you see if you can find some kind of exercise that you like, and start that on a regular basis. It will help keep you from losing muscle, rev up your metabolism, and most important of all, help keep you from regaining. Walking is a great way to start.

Good luck on your journey, and keep in touch.
Hugs,
Kat