#19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 08:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen B
Or stated a little differently, fat is never bad; it's always the high carb.

Ayustar, I hear where you're coming from on being pissed off about people judging our choices and the fact that we've been duped. That is my initial reaction too. But then, as the injustice of it all sinks in and I make my own choices and I move away from the main stream, I realize that all those people served an important purpose for me. They helped me to wake up and shake off the hypnosis, the brainwashing, and to take charge of my own fate. Those people are the ones that serve as an impetus for me to make positive, empowering change. Once I get to that point, I can thank them.

I love the message in your signature, by the way. It acknowledges that we consist of both dark and light, and that the two are actually one. Without judgment of the dark, it can be incorporated into the light. That's kind of what I was talking about above. If we judge the naysayers and liars as negative, then we create a rift that doesn't need to exist. But if we acknowledge them for their purpose in the "whole," then we are free. Does that make sense?

Anyway, speaking of fats, I think it's crucial to distinguish the trans fats out from the rest of them. Anything hydrogenated is trans fat. That includes most bottled salad dressings and mayos. Hydrogenated oil is found in an insane amount of packaged foods. That's why I just make my own stuff and rarely buy anything out of a bottle or package.

What I do is buy expeller or cold pressed oils and make my own mayo and salad dressing. It's SO easy with a blender or food processor to make the creamiest mayo and dressings ever. I use either virgin olive oil or walnut oil for mayo and dressings. Nut oils are really tasty! If anyone wants to know how to make a killer mayo in just a few minutes, let me know. It doesn't taste quite like commercial mayo, of course, but you acquire a taste for it rapidly, IMO.

I avoid canola oil and soy oil (or anything soy for that matter) like the plague, hydrogenated or not. I avoid vegetable oils in general (because there are so many conflicting opinions about their healthfulness), except olive oil (which I don't think is a vegetable anyway).

I use bacon fat (from uncured bacon from the HFS), organic ghee (clarified butter), and Tropical Traditions coconut oil for cooking or sauteing. And then, of course, I eat my whopping serving of virgin coconut oil (or coconut cream-heaven!) daily for all the good health benefits it provides, including help with my weight loss.

That brings us down to eggs, fatty fish, chicken skin/fat, and fat on meat. I definitely always buy organic (no hormones/antibiotics), and I get as much grass-fed meat/chicken as I can. I have a box freezer and order it online. I get organic Omega 3 eggs from the health food store.

On fish, I eat salmon (usually smoked in our smoker-OMG-to die for!) and tuna packaged in water. I know they say that most fish is contaminated these days. That's kind of where I close my eyes and hope that anything tainted about fish will be overshadowed by all the good food choices I make. I love fish!!! And certainly don't want to do without it.

The Omega 3/6 balance thing is something else to consider, I think. From all the years of eating grain and grain-fed animals, we have been existing on very little Omega 3 and an over-abundance of Omega 6, with disastrous health consequences. Eliminating grain from the diet helps a lot. I read that a normal grocery store egg contains Omega 6/3 in a ratio of 19/1, whereas an organic Omega 3 egg from a free range chicken is 1/1. That's quite a difference!

One way to help with the balance is taking flax oil (which is expensive) or 2 T of flaxseeds (ground as you use them) per day (which is fairly cheap). Another way is fish oil (I use Carlson's), which is still expensive but it goes a long way. Because I eat flaxseeds every day and I eat Omega 3 eggs and something grass-fed nearly every day, I don't always supplement with the fish oil.

If anyone sees any flaws in my logic in any of this, I would welcome your comments.

Have a great fat-eating, non-hungry day!

Thanks for the info, Jen. Good guidelines and impressive.

I would like to work toward being that consistent. Right now, I cannot afford the organic diet even though I think it may be best. The other problem is--I wonder if all that stuff REALLY is organic or if they just tell us it is. You know, when you've been DUPED, you begin to be wary of everything!

So, if we are eating sooo many "unbalanced" grocery store eggs--are we in danger of Omega 6 overload?

If you were to prepare something like "hot wings" (or deep fried bacon, lol) what oil would you use?

Thanks, Jen!