View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 04:23

Plan: Lars-Erik Litsfeldt (Swe)
Stats: 242/200.6/187 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hello from another European,

I live in Sweden, so not exactly in your route. I will go to California this summer, and have been googling about the food options over there, isn't that a coincidence?

The airplane food is a great reminder for me too...

Apart from what the others have said, I just want to add that Dutch breakfasts also include a lot of dangerous things, like chocolate spread on sandwiches etc. But it is true that they serve a wider variety of breakfast options than France. It won't be a problem to have an egg dish, for instance.

In France it is trickier - the bigger hotels will probably serve a breakfast buffet or at least give you a wider choice, but smaller hotels might very well just serve coffee/tea, juice, baguette (white bread), and croissant with butter and marmalade. The only edible thing being the butter makes things a bit hard on the lowcarber.

I don't know about France and NL (I haven't been there as a lowcarber) but at least in Sweden there are no special lowcarb shops as I understand there are in CA. We just have to make do of what is generally available in ordinary shops, but that suffices. The meat, fish and vegetables are high quality. You just cannot expect to be able to buy things like those special flour replacements like I often see in American recipes.

In France Montignac is big (one of the GI gurus), so you might be able to find stuff that he offers. I think he also sells some special products like Atkins do. Here is a link: http://www.montignac.com/en/

GI is not strictly lowcarb, but reasonably close to be of interest.

Good luck with your trip - and why not report back here how it went? It would be very interesting to hear your opinion on the European lowcarb options.

Cheers, Eva