#175   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 19:16

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
But, perhaps kallyn is saying that tribes=civilization?

Yes, that was what I meant. Sorry if I was confusing with my nomenclature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlyA
I don't see how this is correct, since humanity existed for millions of years prior to "civilization(s)".

I believe that H. sapiens has only existed for approximately 200k years. To compare beyond that seems rather pointless to me. Even these earliest human remains have shown signs of culture, as in this article here: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?ar...6B8809EC588EEDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlyA
We can't think outside of it(civilization). It has us.... as an all-pervasive ideology.

That is part of my point. It is one of our adaptations to our environment, just as bipedalism and opposable thumbs are.

It seems that what you are really opposed to is modernization. I say, we are only here on Earth's whim. She can bat us out in the blink of an eye if she so chooses (take for example the tsunamis, earthquakes, and hurricanes we've seen lately). To think that we have such a large effect that we could completely destroy nature is nothing but hubris. Greenhouse gases, for instance...one good volcano will put out more greenhouse gas than all of humanity combined, and it is a totally natural process. Animal extinctions, for instance...there have been at least five major global extinction events in Earth's history. It is nothing new. Some may call this time period a sixth. But extinction is a part of the cycle of life...if an animal has gone extinct, it's because it can no longer adapt quickly enough to its changing environment. Species go extinct all the time, and have been going extinct for as long as there has been life on Earth. Earth is not static. New species will arise in the future. Perhaps we'll go extinct at some point, and something else will come along and wonder what all our funny trash was for.