Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 07:34

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: One or 2 sets per muscle group? My BFL-plans

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
I would think that if your lower back was weak you might want to focus on it ? Deadlifts can be tough, granted, and proper form is critical. So is how you start off and finish each set. Trainerdan posted something last winter on how to do this - I'll try to dig it up for you.[/B]

I will try to do the deadlift another time more at ease so that I can do it with proper form, rather than hurry through.

Quote:
Something else to think about - core strength is increased when you strengthen your abs and your back. Having one set of muscles stronger than the other can make you lopsided, so to speak, and cause problems of it's own.

True.. I need to work on the abs and waist. However, since these are weaker, I think it's a better idea to do isolating exercises for those and build up their strength separately, until i can do the deadlift and get sore thighs, a sore butt and a sore back at the same time, rather than just one of the 3.

Quote:
I used to cycle heavily and my cardio is done on a nordictrack - I have always had very strong legs. Doing squats, hamstring curls and deadlifts only gives me DOMS the odd time - or when I really push it. And forget the calves - I can't get them to hurt no matter what I do. All this being said - a year of lifting heavy has produces some results that I'm very pleased with, and I didn't feel sore most of the time.

LOL.. I'm still quite sore. My weakness with cycling is simply my weakness. I'm too lazy and tend to twiddle in lowest gear. It may have to do with lack of proper food. Only when I started the CKD-diet just 2 weeks ago (OK, I lowered my carb intake for rice, potatoes & bread considerably for a few months, but would binge on high-carb candy & sweets), I realized how bad I was eating for the longest time.. despite the lack of carbs,I feel stronger than I did before!

Quote:
As for the ab machines and floor exercises, you'll find your strength in that area will increase as well. I've done all my crunches on the floor, I wouldn't know what an ab machine looks like

http://www.megafitness.com/seated-a...-s-sse0021.html
gives an idea.. the machine I use is a bit different, but the principle is the same.
http://www.ballyfitness.com/rapid_r...ips/video.asp?1
gives a description what you do.

The main difference is that with a floor crunch you often work your back, rather than your abs, unless you're using an abdominal tool (you know what I mean, that light thingy which is used in many gyms for abdominal crunches). You can add weight to the hand grips, but this is something I tend to forget.
With the machine you can add more weight more easily.. I liked it.

Quote:
There's an Ab Bootcamp thread in this forum somewhere - I'll see if I can't find that as well.

There should be a search button here .
I'll take a look.. I must be quite the masochist.. now I know how effective weight training can be, I love to have sore muscles
The incline bench was really difficult, and a good choice for the last killer set with oblique crunches.

Cheers

Fietser