Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 19:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: sugar cravings in afternoon

Quote:
Originally posted by papalmer
That being said, every afternoon (between after lunch and 5 PM EST, USA) I start craving sugar. I am drinking water and am not hungry, so I know it's not thirst or hunger. Maybe I'm just addicted to sugar and I'm weakest at this time so this is the time it's showing up?

Has this happened to anyone else? I scrolled through the newbies' questions but didn't see this particular question posted.

Hi Patti

I was reading some information on this very topic earlier in the week during my train ride home. Some interesting facts: one of the reasons we crave carby and / or fatty foods later in the day correlates with a drop in serotonin levels in the brain that happens around 4 p.m. This is particularly pronounced in women as we have approximately 40% less serotonin than men to begin with. Fighting these cravings when they first arise often leads to increased hunger and moodiness and binge eating later in the evening.

The article I was reading suggesting having something right then and there to help replentish serotonin levels. A protein rich snack, as BarB suggested, will go a long way to help deal with these cravings. The body can convert protein to glucose w/o causing a rise in insulin levels - thereby taking care of the craving, filling you up, supplying your body with the amino acids it needs and ensuring you do not feel deprived.

Also, if you're hungry and not just craving something 'sweet' its a sign that you're not getting enough food at the meals preceeding. Try increasing the number of meals you eat. More frequent, smaller meals throughout the day will boost metabolism and help keep blood sugar (and brain chemicals) leveled. The notion of "Three Square Meals A Day" is a socially contrived one - we do much better with 5 or 6 smaller meals. Statistically women are less likely to gain fat eating this way and more likely to lose it.

Cheers,
Nat