View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

She dances around the fat acceptance question. I am split on this issue: I think you should love yourself no matter what, that fat does not make you a bad person, that being fat should not expose you to discrimination, institutional or individual.

At one point, I was trying to reconcile myself to being fat because I never thought I'd be thin. I was preparing for a life of gaining weight every year because everything I had tried was futile. I can totally understand that mindset, but I question the intellectual honesty of really being happy when you are obese. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know that in my case I was a generally happy guy who took a psychological beating every time I saw a mirror or flew on a plane or just had a reflective moment about my size. Perhaps that is an abberation, but I don't believe that it is.

Once I stumbled onto low carb (and it really was an accident) and started to have success, I started to change my definition of happy. 100 pounds later, and still not thin, I can tell you that my mindframe for happy isn't what it was 5 years ago.

I think perspectives change and that people are remarkably adaptable. I was happy as a much fatter person, but I'm happier now to the point that those seem like much darker times to me now than they were then. For someone like me, who has always been fat, I didn't know the difference.

I think it is unhealthy to not accept and love yourself, flaws and all. It is also unhealthy not to want to improve.