View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 20:19

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Well, pretty early on I stopped going to see doctors and also stopped dieting. I went for years without having periods too.

I think that the worst thing that happens to us women with PCOS is that we are made to feel that it's our behavior that's causing our problem. We are treated like failures and degraded by the people who are supposed to be helping us.

When I finally found a doctor who told me I had PCOS and that my weight was not the cause but a symptom, I felt like I had been let out of jail. However, when she told me that I don't ovulate and so could not get pregnant, I was relieved . I never have wanted kids.

At one point I was also given by a nurse who thought she was being helpful an excerpt from a book that said that PCOS is caused by a woman's sexual ambivalence and that she could cure herself by getting her head straight, pun intended. Talk about degrading, unfeeling, and totally wrong!

So, I guess this thread is turning into a rant about unfeeling doctors, but like the rest of you, I have years and years of hurt still bubbling to the surface.

;-Deb