View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Thanks so much for posting some timely info on PCOS. This has been a thorn in my side nearly all my life. I finally had to dig up my own medical research, collect my symptoms and find a doctor who would listen and respond - not an easy task. Finally, a woman gynocologist formally diagnosed me, ran all the appropriate tests and began to keep an eye on me - (then I lost my benefits...and her!)

Now I am my own watchdog, and can console others who have been stigmatized by symptoms beyond their control. One thing that has especially helped me - and was a great piece of positve medical news - is realizing that PCOS is related to insulin and glucose processing, and that the hunger and obesity (and bingeing) problems are very much a part of this syndrome.

I'm completely in control of my symptoms now, after years of dieting, electrolysis, dermatologists, etc. I took them on one at a time, thankfully without a lot of medications, and began to fight back hard. My skin looks great today, and the LC WOE maintains a stable condition for me...no more migraines unless I cheat, a healthier blood condition for hair loss and growth, etc. The depression is still treated with meds, but that is the basis for my being able to be in charge of my own health.

Any woman who has battled this thing over the years can tell you what discouragement is like! I appreciate the word getting out - through the usual pipeline: women to women. There is relief out there now, and plenty of people to listen and help.