View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 09:15

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

before atkins, I was known to go out once or twice or three nights(or more) a week and put down anywhere between 4 to 10+ pints of Guinnesss. Gee, maybe that's why I got so heavy, ya think?

Anyway, I drink less now, but I still enjoy a the bar life, and I just wanted to agree with most of what the kind folks above have said:

1) it hits me harder. I get downright loopy on just 1 or 2 drinks.

2) I can only drink about half of what I used to. I start feeling queasy and crappy and just plain bad, so I stop drinking. Usually.

3) Hangovers are a little bit worse. Doesn't take as much to create one, and I feel worse the next day. Don't sleep very well either. This happens less and less, due to my point # 2.

4) According to everything I've read, it only has a minor effect on your wt. loss. It doesn't really stop ketosis, just puts it on pause for a few hours while your body burns the alchohol instead of fat. Eating a bowl of ice cream would be a lot worse, in that regard, than 4 pints of the dark stuff!
According to the lipostix, I am usually back into ketosis early the next day.

I recently went on a sort of a bender - I had out of town guests, and a series of Rolling Stones concerts to attend, and then some more guests... so I ended up not working out, and drinking (in my idea of moderation) almost every day for almost two weeks. I kept up with the Atkins plan in every other way, but I still ended up gaining a couple of pounds.

Now I am back on track and losing again.