View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 16:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Deb...

My experience has pretty much been the same as yours. I've probably had PCOS since puberty and until I got married and started trying to start a family, was always told that I should just eat less and lose weight which, of course, didn't work. None of the doctors did any testing (other than thyroid) to find out if there was some underlying medical problem for my irregular periods and weight gain. One doctor even told me that my only problem was what he termed "overactive hand to mouth syndrome" and that all I needed to do was eat less and I'd be fine, then stuck me on the totally wrong (I found that out later) type of birth control to regulate my periods which resulted in my ovaries shutting down completely. It's only by some miracle that they started functioning again and I was able to conceive.
Just goes to show you how deeply ingrained prejudice against the obese is, even among doctors who should know better. Instead of trying to figure out WHY you're fat, they apply the sterotype of the obese person sitting on the couch watching TV all day and eating 2 lbs. of chocolate and an entire bag of potato chips at a time and say, "Of course you're fat...you eat too much!"
Even when I was eating 1,200 calories a day and not losing weight, the doctor wouldn't believe me and insisted that I had to be cheating. Needless to say, I never went back to him.