View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 12:19

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 224/208/140
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Still cynical...

Hi, I've been researching what I can find on nitrates/nitrites for awhile now and that's how I found this thread, too. My gut is that I should avoid them. Not just because I've been told about them X number of times but because the research articles I've read over the years do label these items as "confirmed potent carcinogens that the body has no defense against." Many decades ago I recall reading that if we took a gram of Vit. C with our nitrite/nitrate meals that it would help neutralize the effects of this harmful chemical in the stomach. I wish I could accept that they are either good for or not harmful to us. But my gut just won't let me. So I'm looking for nitrite/nitrate free bacon... I am just this huge bacon lover! I did find a company that makes it...Valley Organics™, and since I also try to buy non-chemical, non-hormone fed meats, I'll be happy to try their products as soon as I find a store that carries them. I used to be a vegetarian but I found out years ago that I do feel so much better with meat in my diet and no carbs. I'm a long term breadaholic. It's been a hard adjustment at first to give up grains and add meat, but Atkins has really helped, even in the short time I've been doing it (I did do Atkins back in the 70's when I first heard about it and lost 30 pounds but back then there weren't as many food options as today and Dr. Atkins has progressed in his health learning, which is wonderful). The only meats I currently enjoy are chicken, bacon and occasional steaks. And I figure that if I'm going to be having so much meat in my life now, that it is logically sane to try to find the cleanest least contaminated meat available.

So... this is my first post here! I look forward to reading more topics.