View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

I've found the perks to be quite many. The moving needle on the scale is important, but much more so have been the following:

1. After having been a chronic migraine sufferer for 10 years, I have not had a single one since shortly after starting Atkins (early July). Similarly, all symptoms of IBS are gone (I used to dread going out to dinner with friends and then having an hour on the subway when I wouldn't know how my body would react)

2. A significant reduction in my overall body fat that has resulted in a much stronger, leaner look than I have ever had at this weight.

3. A much longer attention span. I'm a PhD student and spend a lot of days reading for hours and hours on end. In the past, my brain was mush part way through the day and I was having to drink coffee every couple of hours. No more coffee, no more munching to keep going and my thoughts are sharp and clear for hours on end.

4. The strength, endurance and motivation to "get back to my college days" when I was a varsity athlete and sports were as fundamental to my day as breathing. I now commute to work by bike (35 miles round-trip every day that isn't raining!) and participated in my first 100-mile "century" ride last month.

5.My Atkins-buddy used to suffer from pre-arthritic muscle and joint pains as a result of her occupation. These symptoms have all but disappeared (a medical relative has noted that current research seems to be finding all sorts of links between sugar and sugar intolerance and arthritis).