View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 19:15

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Rosebud

I too am a RN....have been for over 25 years, over 5 of them as a CCU, ICU nurse.

I am sorry, but I don't agree with what you've said! I agree the dose over the counter is much lower than prescription....but I've also seen too many cases of people saying one is good, 2 is better, more will be even better!

I still say that people should see their doc if they think their potassium is too low!

I take potassium supplements...on the advice of a physician. I have a lot of digestive problems, and have frequent diarrhea, which can deplete potassium!

Quote:
Hypokalemia can be caused by decreased intake of K but is usually caused by excessive losses of K in the urine or from the GI tract. Abnormal gastrointestinal K losses occur in chronic diarrhea and include that due to chronic laxative abuse or bowel diversion. Other causes of gastrointestinal K losses include clay pica, vomiting, and gastric suction. Rarely, villous adenoma of the colon can cause massive K loss from the GI tract. Gastrointestinal K losses may be compounded by concomitant renal K losses due to metabolic alkalosis and stimulation of aldosterone due to volume depletion.
(Merck Manual. Setion 2, Chapter 12)

While it is true that excessive IV fluid intake can cause depletion of potassium, oral intake is not usually a problem, because your kidney regulate how much is excreted depending on what your total serum levels are.

Unless someone is taking a potassium depleting diuretic, has excessive vomiting or diarrhea, chances are their blood levels will be normal. If they question it, they should see their doc, not self-treat!

Cindy