#3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 21:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default If you have a Walmart in your area

check out there excercise area. They have dumbbells cheaper than most places and they have a bar and free weights (100 pounds or more) for 38 dollars or less.

We have two Walmarts in our area and at one of them I paid 38 for 100 pounds and a bar, but last night I was at the other one and found a set of 130 free weights and bar for LESS money, something like 28 or less dollars.

I prefer dumbbells of various weights because with the BFL workout you are supposed to increase the weight for each set. That means changing at least 4 times, if you are doing it right. Of course if you are just starting out, you may find that it is too difficult to change the weight at first as often as you are supposed to.

I have 5, and 8 and 15 and 20 pound dumbbells and a set that allows for making your own of any weight. I don't like to stop in the middle of a workout and be changing weights though, so it is easier to just have the premade dumbbells.

Induction is a little low in carbs to be able to work out and still have enough energy. At least it is for me. I'm trying to stick to close to induction, but you do get really really tired if you aren't careful. I wouldn't suggest trying to eat the BFL way though. I was kind of trying that at the beginning, and I wound up not really eating either Atkins OR BFL and just started putting on a lot of water weight. It is going away some now, and I do think that I am leaning down some. But I was getting pretty discouraged there for awhile, I'm sure it had a lot to do with the way I was eating. Anywwy good luck on it. Enjoy. Any questions we can answer, just ask.

You can do a pretty good lower body workout with just this sort of thing though. I workout all at home and although I have collected a lot of equipment over the years, my lower body workout is mostly done with free weights.

I do squats with dumbbells in my hands for quads, do straight legged deadlifts with dumbbells for hamstrings, I do standing calf raises using the leg of one of my other pieces of excercise equipment. It is a flat bar about 3 inches off the ground and a place where I can hold on the the machine to help with balance. A 2 by 4 would work as well if you did it near a wall where you could hold on for balance.

What you do is to put your toes on the elevated step, your heels on the floor. Lean forward a little and feel the stretch in the backs of your legs. Then transfer your weight to your toes. Then come back to the floor with your heels. Be careful with this one though. When I first started doing it I did 4 sets of 10 right off the bat, and I had trouble walking the next few days. Your heels aren't USED to being lower than your toes and that PULLS.

Once you get used to doing this with body weight alone you can start doing it holding a dumbbell in one hand to increase the intensity. You can also do it with your toes pointed in toward each other or pointed outward away from each other to stretch out a few more sides of the muscles.