Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb2000
Does polydextrose carmelize? I want to come up with a recipe for our favorite (though we only make it a few times a year)--pecan pie. I made one with SF maple syrup and splenda and it was "okay" but not what I expect from pecan pie. I'm planning to try polyd for my next attempt but I think it needs something that will carmelize. I've considered adding some DaVinci's caramel but it still won't replace carmelizing (and it's too thin to add much).

There's definitely pecan pie with PDX happening at www.lowcarbfriends.com, and maybe posted here already too. Have you SEARCHed here in the Sweet Treats or Baked {whatever} (sub)forums yet, or checked out those helpful lists of the recipes at the top of each of the (sub)forums?

Also, the carb counts on Equal (aspartame) are very likely on the box/container, as it requires a Nutrition Facts label just like any other product...and there's www.equal.com -- are the numbers rounded or something and therefore not helpful on the granular Equal?

I just did a quick Google on ' equal aspartame nutrition facts' and this very helpful site came up, you will find this VERY interesting (and not just for the equal):

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21SE.html {keeping in mind that emptying packets to get 1 Tsp worth is probably at least 4 packets}...

Check it out.