Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 12:41

Plan: Modified diabetic diet
Stats: 245/223/155
BF:31%
Progress: 24%
Default Re: is it impossible to lose?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tams531
I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS.....and after reading message boards I have found alot of support, yet I have also been feeling a bit discouraged!! I have seen several posts saying it is near impossible to lose weight.....despite all good efforts. Is it true that women with PCOS have THAT much more difficult time losing weight???? Are my efforts going to pale in comparison to those of a non-pcos woman? Don't get me wrong, I am low carbing.....taking my Provera.....exercising.........weight training............BUT am I just beating myself up for little result? So far, I have seen little reward for these efforts.....

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed! I am usually not negative, but I am just afraid that my efforts are going to leave me discouraged due to no real results!

I would love some input!!!!!

Thanks in advance...

wow I can tell you I read this and went 'yup'! This is how I've been feeling in the last week I've been working SO hard, and seeing on average a 1lb loss/week. Ok, now I KNOW that 1lb a week is still great, but somehow I wanted more. I wanted the 2lb/week 'healthy rate' that everyone else seems to get. I felt that if a "normal" person worked as hard as I did and was as 'good' as I was - they would have lost almost twice as much as I have by now! Well the truth is that I'm not normal, sorry but having PCOS means I don't have a 'normal' or even 'average' metabolism. I just have to accept that while some people might put in half the work I have and lose 2 lbs a week - I can't.
However, not to be completely negative! I do have to focus on the fact that I AM losing. In fact I've lost 17 lbs so far! Boy it hasn't been easy by ANY stretch of anyone's imagination. I've been working HARD. But that's what I have to do if I want to get to a point where my body is healthy and my fertility improves.
And I AM getting there, my pants are getting loser, my inches are going down, albeit VERY SLOWLY.

And so far I haven't been doing a drastic low carb diet - just changes in the types of carbs/sugar I'm eating and a slight reduction in the total overall amount that I eat. That leads me to believe that there might (just might) be some wiggle room to up my weightloss rate by reducing my carbs even more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this, yeah I think PCOSers really do have that much more trouble than 'regular' people, but I don't think it's impossible. Just painfully and frustratingly slow!! I wish it could be faster... even just one more lb a week faster - but I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can only do as much as I can, and I'm doing my best that I can do at this stage in the game. I just have to keep pushing myself to keep going - and focus on other things other than the scale - like how much more energy I have, how I'm feeling, the self confidence and positive outlook that come from knowing I'm doing something to be fit. I'm doing something to improve my fertility, in fact, I'm doing everything right. It's hard for me to let go of wanting that 2 lb loss a week rate - but I'm trying.

I hope in some small way it helps you to know that there are other people out there feeling just as frustrated! Just don't give up, everything you're doing is not futile! It is helping you in one way or another, you just might not see it in the scale!