View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-05, 08:35

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Cheese crackers (no soy or wheat)

This is part of my lavoro in corso on protein pastry. I still don't have it quite right though. The whey makes for a dryish texture, even with a high ratio of butter. I lack the courage to make a big enough batch of this to line a tin and bake blind for a quiche, but that is my ultimate aim.

75g unflavoured whey protein powder
50g butter (I used salted)
15g grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp lo-salt (potassium salt)
2 - 2 1/2 tbsp water
Sesame or poppy seeds for sprinkling

Put the cheese, butter and seasonings into a food processor and pulse until it resembles large breadcrumbs. (It needs more processing than ordinary wheat pastry) Add the water a bit at a time, processing until the dough comes together. Don't make the dough too wet (just like real pastry) or it will become too sticky.

Turn the dough out and knead it into a smoooth ball. Roll it out evenly to about 1-1.5mm thickness. I put it between sheets of cling-film and roll it, but you can sprinkle whey powder on the work surface and roll it that way. If you made the dough too soft with too much water thats probably the best way to do it.

Stamp out small (50mm) rounds, lift them carefully with a knife, and place them on a baking sheet. If you used the cling film for rolling, you can unpeel the rounds by hand. I use an ungreased pizza tray, the kind with holes it it, but an ordinary sheet will do fine. Re-roll any leftovers and continue to stamp out crackers, to use up all the pastry. Sprinkle the crackers with poppy or sesame seeds, and lightly press them into the dough.

Bake at 180C (350F) for about 7-8 minutes, until they are golden brown.

Yield - about 30 crackers (depends on how thin/what diameter)
Totals for whole recipe - 756 Kcals. 51g fat (31 sat, 3 poly, 13 mono) 9g carbs, 3 fibre, 65g protein.

Per cracker (1/30) 25Kc, 1.7g fat, .3g carb, 2.1g protein.

I might try these with cheddar next time. They are better (crispier) when they are rolled out thin. I have a photo of them fresh out of the oven, but I can't seem to attach it to this post sucessfully.

neo_crone
Sponsored Links