View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

Hi Sherry- me again. To continue the idea that I started in your journal-I probably sound like Little Missy Do-Good but here goes:

One thing that is effective for me when I am feeling down, or discouraged, is to reach out to others- look through the posts, see if I can cheer anyone else up with some good words or positive suggestions. I think we have a duty to share what we have learned, and Sherry, you are really great about that. You have helped me so much. But like your experience in the store last night, when you talked the lady out of her Slim Fast, it tends to pull you out of you doldrums and refocus your energy, to teach others about lo-carbing. It is like an affirmation.

This is one of the really useful ideas from the 12 step programs like OA. Service to others helps US most of all. And posting here has an added benefit and reinforcement for us- when we "go public", we have to live up to our own press! You can't "talk the talk" if you don't "walk the walk"! The thought of confession, public humiliation and shame keeps me straight a lot, I know.

Another OA tip is to start listing things for which you are grateful, when bummed out. I am not so good with that one.

Oh yes, Cindi, I sure know what you mean about the nude-in front-of-the-mirror thing. Geez! What an ego-deflator that is! And those thoughts- "How could I DO THIS to myself!!" But maybe those can be positive reinforcements too- I usually come back around to the thought "Well, I sure don't want to go through this again." I gotta learn, gotta learn!

Hugs,
Kat