Thread: Aaaarrrrghhh!
View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 08:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I plan on talking to the teacher on Monday to find out if my daughter really got the Twinkies from her or if she raided the lunches that are brought in for other kids on the lunch program (which I know she sometimes does).
If she truly did get these from the teacher, I plan to reiterate that I don't want her to have such things. The hard part is that the teacher is not in the classroom at lunchtime; they have lunch monitors that take over so the teachers can have a break. If it continues, I will have a talk with the principal.
Sugary treats are not forbidden, just discouraged. The only thing that is forbidden for lunches is red juice, reason given that it stains the floors, but I would think that purple juice would stain just as bad so I think it's because they are aware of the negative effects that red dyes have on a lot of kids.
I'm sure there are other parents that don't like this or are just unaware as most kids would have happily scarfed them down and not said anything to their parents. At least my daughter brought them home (with the idea of sharing one with her sister), so I could confiscate them before she ate them and explained that there are lots of things in them that are very bad for her. I also replaced them with a sugar-free treat that she really likes so she wasn't too upset about having the Twinkies taken away. I'm actually rather proud of her for not eating them immediately...that's a lot of restraint from a second grader.

lperk...I'm also concerned about the lack of physical activity. The kids only have physical education once a week this semester (twice next) and only get two recesses a day of 15 minutes each. That's not much time to exercise.
I'm seriously thinking of starting a campaign to get the sugary stuff out of the schools. If the parents want their kids to have them, they can have them when they're not at school and I really believe it's a bad message for the teachers to be rewarding the kids with high sugar treats...."Hey...you stayed focused all day. Here....stuff your face with sugar so you're nice and wired when you get home and it takes you two hours to do 30 minutes of homework because then you really won't be able to focus."