View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 13:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Julianna...

No, this is not a licence to overeat and Atkins does say that in his book (I beleive the words that he uses is "gorge yourself"). I can eat a lot of food before I feel stuffed too, but instead I listen to my body and stop when I'm no longer hungry. This is very different from waiting until you feel full or stuffed. How many times have we walked away from a big holiday meal saying "I can't believe I ate that much" and feeling uncomfortably full? It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that it's had enough. If I'm still hungry after finishing a meal that would normally satisfy me, I wait a while to see if my brain just hasn't gotten the signal from my stomach that it's had enough yet. If I'm still hungry after about 20 minutes, I eat a bit more but usually I'm not.
I appreciate your concern about not overeating, but honestly many people find it difficult to eat enough on low carb because ketosis has a tendency to suppress your appetite.
Is 3-4 servings of salad dressing on your salad too much? I guess that would depend on the size of the salad.
When frying eggs (or most anything else, for that matter), I usually add a Tablespoon or two of butter to the pan. If I'm cooking meat, I'll often use a combination of butter and olive oil (a Tablespoon or so of each)...enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Keep in mind that not all of that winds up on your portion of the meal unless you are the only one eating it and even then, some of it stays in the pan.
As for measuring, again it depends on what it is that you're measuring. Salad is usually measured loosely packed, but since it's difficult to measure exactly (and that goes for a lot of veggies), you probably won't ever get a completely accurate measurement and that's not really necessary anyway. It takes an awful lot of most low carb veggies to go over your 20 grams of carb per day. The amounts that Atkins lists in his book are a guideline; how much of each veggie you can actually eat depends on what veggie you are eating.
It's difficult to get out of the mindset of measuring and weighing everything, but unless you've gone more than 6 weeks without losing pounds or inches, I'd suggest just eating enough to satisfy you and see how it goes.