View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 16:03

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Oh I agree with you that we need to be informed about EVERYTHING we put in our mouth, including ingredients, additives, and processing and that compagnies as a whole aren't too forthcoming about revealing this information. However this lawsuit isn't about disclosure. It's about accountability. About blaming someone else for the decisions you made knowing full well the consequences. There isn't a person in America that doesn't know that fast food is fattening. The message has been repeated over and over by the medical community, by the media, by all the bossy coworker at the office. Not to mention that you can find out the nutritional information on fast food just about everywhere, including from the compagnies themselves. Weight isn't something that comes overnight. It creeps up on you. You might close your eyes to the process, but don't tell me you wake up one day in the future, 100 lbs fatter, and go ... I'm going to sue McDonalds, look at what they have done to me.

I'm not defending the fast food industry, God knows. Like all faceless corporations they are evil in the sense they put profit above anything else. But then that's America. Let's not delude ourselves.

However it's not their business to provide nutritious food. That's the business of the school lunch programs and the hospitals and the moms and dads of this world. They offer food that they think will sell. They are a business. It's up to the consumer to vote with their dollars. To accept or reject what is offered. They will adapt, just as they have recently by offering healthier choices like salads