View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 13:11

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I hate to quote your whole post but wanted to make sure my question was directed toward your recipe. Do you think lard could be substituted for butter? I lived in Vegas for a few years and had a lot of Mexican friends and know that they used manteca or lard when they made their own tortillas.

Also, do you have any idea how many carbs per tortilla. How many cups of carbalose flour do you start out with and do you use cold, tepid or warm water? I have never made something like this before and want to try to eliminate any potential problems so as not to waste the flour.

Thanks

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I have been making my own tortillas with the carbalose flour. Same stuff that is in carbquick, just not the leavening agent and other stuff. I freeze a stick of unsalted butter and grate it into the flour (carbalose flour is salty enough). I use enough to give the flour a slightly crumbly texture. I usually make huge batches and freeze, so I just dump ingredients in and go for texture. Then I slowly add enough water to make a soft dough.

Then I knead on the dough counter top and make into balls then roll out thin. Then I lightly brush one side with melted salted butter. Because of the butter in them I do not need to flour the counter top and they peel off real easy without tearing. I slap em on a piping hot cast iron griddle two at a time and wait for golden brown spots to appear, then flip.

After each one is done, I place them of a plate with a sopping wet doubled up paper towel. I have another one on top to keep the moisture in. the tortillas are stacked and stored with wet paper towels in a gallon size freezer bag. They do not become soggy, and they stay quite moist. You can eithere freeze them for later or store them in the fridge.

These are really good. My little boy and hubby love them and it is difficult to keep them in stock. They turn out like fajita style. They are less plyable when cold, but become very soft and workable when nuked for a couple seconds.