#6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 08:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
The longer answer is...depends on your plan.

Thanks, Rosebud and agonycat. But let me suggest that it can't really depend on the plan. No plan is good if it conflicts with our biochemistry. We can't have the tail wagging the dog. I fully accept there are individual differences. And I also accept that people may not be tuned in to their brain's signal that they've had enough. They have to work on that.

Having said that, there is nevertheless a basic biochemistry common to all human beings, since, well, we're all human beings with the same long evolution. After all, we believe that the carb-sugar-insulin theory is applicable to all people, no? What do we tell skeptics who come here and insist that low-carbing isn't right for everyone? The variables can't swing that wildly, can they?

Moreover, I thought our basic outlook is that in the absence of insulin, calories from fat cannot get stored as body fat. So how can one get fat or fail to lose fat by eating fat and low-carb? (I'm assuming a regular exercise program, of course.)

So my question remains: if low-carbers wishing to lose weight watch for the signals that they are satisfied, do they need to worry about calories? Who's right, Schwarzbein or the Eadeses?

Sheldon

P.S.: I am not trying to be provocative. It just sounds that way. I'm searching for the answer and I know this forum will help.