View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 22:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130.5/129.5/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile

You might try www.depressionforums.com for information about SSRIs and weight loss. There's a whole forum just for Zoloft. Many of the folks are low carbers. My husband's an MD, and he claims that the pharmaceutical reps will not admit that most ADs cause weight gain -- whether to a slowed metabolism or to the return of appetite after the depression lifts, i t's anyone's guess.
Paxil, another SSRI, is notorious for weight gain. Wellbutrin (and, in some cases, Effexor) causes weight loss in some individuals (gaining weight is a rare, but possible, side effect). My husband thinks that low carbing is the only way to diet. Counting calories doesn't work -- the body can see that coming a mile away. LOL! Low carbing blindsides the metabolism (I believe The Protein Power Plan has the best metaphor for the little "man" who lives in our brain and is constantly increasing our appetite JUST before a major whoosh. I never knew that!! What a dirty player!) Some of the regulars here would know if this is the correct book title.

There's a theory that the SSRI's wreck havoc with insulin levels. If you are familiar with _Turn Off The Hunger Switch_ then you know that carbs are dangerous. After reading the book --which goes into detail about the various types of dieters...some are influenced by dopamine levels (Wellbutrin) and others are sensitive to seratonin (Prozac, Zoloft, etc) and so on -- I started Atkins immediately. I didn't agree with the author's suggestion to add ephedra to Wellbutrin/Effexor. With the low carb diet, I should think that ephedra -- or any appetite suppressant -- would be unnecessary. Just look at all of the zero carb foods available! :-) So, it seems to me that low carbing is a safe, healthy way to lose weight/inches.

Carbs have also been nailed for premature aging -- namely wrinkles (see _The Wrinkle Cure_). They're just horrible for the body in every way.