View Single Post
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 13:51

Plan: PALEO
Stats: 180/160/165 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default Hello Everyone!

Looks like you have a great thread going here. I'm new here and I switched to a more "Paleo" style of eating a few years ago. I only consider myself "semi-Paleo" because I do have some Neolithic tendencies. That is I partake of grains, but only in their whole unaldulterated form.....no storebought fake whole grain products. I found that combining a diet where I eat a low-fat grain grain/vegetable/protein diet during the week and a higher fat protein/vegetable diet (includes lots of nuts and fatty fish) on the weekends I am able to maintain my best health. I do a lot of backpacking and weight lifting so I need some carbs. I generally do not eat store bought meat because I don't like the way its processed....at least with fish, there's not too much they can do to ruin it unless it's farmed fish.

I have some theories of my own on life expectancy and the state of modern man's health. I don't think the obesity and health problems of the Western civilization can be blamed on carbs, fat, or protien.....I believe firmly that its the way the food industry has altered and perverted our natural food supply. The question is, what can you do about it? Obviously, the whole world can't start eating grass-fed animal, fruits, and vegetables. For one thing, there would never be enough pasture to support a food supply like this. For another thing, 80% of the planet wouldn't be able to afford such a diet. How can you help the starving in Africa?....grain products, and teaching them to grow their own and combining these with their own native healthy foods, to include fish and livestock. It's the only way.

People only live longer today because of advances in science. We're not healthier than our ancestors, we're pathetic in comparison. Even if you look back at the founding fathers of this country....John Adam, Benjamin Franklin, and others lived well into their 80's....in the 1700's with no antibiotics or anything. They continued to be productive until their deaths. They didn't live for years with crippling diseases. The average life expectancy back then was much shorter only because of the great number who succumbed to flu and other viruses at an early age. Today, we can easily cure these things in most cases. If our ancestors had the same medical science we have today, yet still maintained their diet and lifestyle, who's to say how long they may have lived?