View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: zone
Stats: 205/165/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:

The blame the parents thing is true, but I've been saying for a long time that nothing will change until the entire culture changes. Parents are expected to both work and work more than 8 hours a day, the kids are given too much homework and the parents are expected to help with that too so the kids stress pours over onto the parents. All the kids activities are now scheduled during dinner and we have a society that raises the bar on what is an acceptable level of achievement. I have 3 gifted children who get straight A's in very advanced classes and to be considered rounded, they have to have umpteen extracurricular activities, and be in band, etc (for college admission to places like Stanford). I had to alter what I put in my kid's lunches because one has 9 minutes for lunch and the other 17 (in 3rd grade) and they can't chew the food fast enough. Everything requires more than you can give.

I work very hard to provide healthy meals for my family and make sure my kids get enough sleep, but I am working against cultural norms for most of it and lots of people would not exhaust themselves the way I have to achieve it.

KSRT