View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-00, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default SAD no more!

I done found a buddy! Thanks Doreen! I'm more than happy to kick your butt if you'll kick mine.

My light is 10,000 LUX also. It doesn't seem to bother my eyes; guess I just soak up the rays. I'm using it as I type this, and it doesn't seem to bother me even when I'm looking at the computer screen.

I still haven't quite decided if my winter problem is SAD or something else. Well, it must be *something,* since I feel so wretched from fall to late spring. I've never liked winter, but about three years ago, the last winter I spent in London (did my degree in England), I pretty well fell apart - had a hard time working, couldn't concentrate, etc. etc. I was stressed anyway - I think I really wanted to be home again - and I put it down to that. But I remember sitting in the kitchen morning after morning, well into that summer (it was horrible and grey until the end of July, yeeccch) wondering what was the matter with me and if I should see a doctor. I was just so fatigued, couldn't wake up no matter what time it was or how much coffee I drank. It's been the same every winter since.

I haven't had a proper medical diagnosis. The first year I was back in Canada I didn't have medical - it took about 8 months to reinstate my provincial plan, was I pissed off - anyway, I did my own research, diagnosed myself, and bought my light box. I should probably see my doctor, though I don't know what she'd tell me that I don't already know. I've observed myself long enough to know that it's definitely seasonal, and the light does help, so I'm not sure what the problem is if it's not SAD.

Oddly, I seem to have all the symptoms EXCEPT the carb cravings. I've always gone for the munchies when under stress, and, previously to low-carb, the munchies were chips, chocolate, etc. - the usual - but I never noticed carb cravings getting particularly worse in the winter. Though I've always tended to gain weight during the winter months, and have never successfully dieted in the winter.

Even now, on Atkins, I've been "good" - no cheats - since I started, over a month ago, and have lost maybe one pound since Induction. Do you find you have a harder time losing in the winter? I wonder if a general metabolic slowdown accounts for it?

You have a lot to struggle with, with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. At least I feel better in the summertime...good on you for refusing to play caretaker. I live on my own now, too - my daughter grew up and is on her own now, doing well (reminds me, I should call her!).

Well, the sun was out today - miracle of miracles! - so I went for a nice long walk on the seawall. Got home about 5:30, and practically fell asleep in my (lc cream of cauliflower) soup. Back to the light box, and this message board.

Thanks for listening to these rambles, and thanks for the websites. I've bookmarked the humour one, it's right up my alley!

Cheers for now ,
Rachel