View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%

I understand your problem! I have wanted to give up meat many times for 2 reasons--I love animals--and I have heard some awful stories of how the butchering process works. Just yesterday I was at a county park with a farm that raises animals to show city children what farming is all about--I petted this really cute cow. He was a bull, actually, and he loved to be petted.

However, for selfish reasons (I feel and look better with more protein)--I have never given up meat. It is a bit of an inner conflict at times.

One observation. As a doctor (chiro) I see a lot of bodies. And a very obvious phenomenon is that strict vegetarians--especially females who keep their overall calories very low--age much more rapidly. Their skin tone and muscle tone is very poor.

I think you can do it though without eating the bigger mammals anyway. Add some good whey/soy/egg protein shakes (guys in the exercise forum can suggest good ones). Eat lots of your good organic eggs/cheeses--and if you can step up the seafood to a bit more than you are used to. You might even consider adding poultry if your experience with their processing isn't too bad. I do hear that the organic ones are generally treated well (free range, etc), if that is any help.

Marj