#8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default PJ

I know the feeling, I certainly understand about feeling "too big" to excercise. I felt that way at my highest weight too. To me excercise (then) meant something like doing situps, and there was NO way at that weight I could do a situp. When I tried my belly and boobs got in the way and I would nearly suffocate myself. The pressure on my lungs was ridiculous.

But I saw this thing on TV one time that truly inspired me. It was the "Guinness Book of World Records" and there was this story about a woman who held two records. One for having been the fattest woman on record (she weighed over a 1000 pounds), and the second record was for being the woman who had LOST the most weight. I can't remember how much she lost but it was over 500 and maybe as much as 700. I think she was in the 200s at the time the show was taped.

I think after the original show that showed her at her top weight, Richard Simmons visited her and told her his statement about how "God doesn't make Garbage" and that she was worth something, and needed to start loving herself more and taking care of her needs, etc.

Well anyway he encouraged her to excercise. This poor woman spent most of her life in bed. At that weight all she could do was stay in bed and eat and watch TV. what sort of excercise could she do?

She could clap her hands to the music on an excercise video. That is the only type of excercise she could do at the time, BUT she did it!

The show aired her progress and eventually she was able to do more and better excercises, she became mobile again and had to have surgury to remove excess skin from her huge arms that shrank. They showed the huge folds of skin that were left after she lost the weight and they showed her arms with the stitch marks on them after they removed the extra skin, and that part was pretty gross.

But I was SO impressed with that lady! If anyone ever had a good "excuse" to just "give UP" she did. I tried to imagine how I would feel if I were her, and I know that I would have felt completely hopeless.

But when I saw that, I said to myself "If SHE can excercise, so can I!" So whatever it takes, what ever you have to do, DO it!

Weight training is of course the best. Even if it is just little dumbbells that you do some tricep extensions with. Or bicep curls, (most of us can do small stuff like that no matter what our weight). Sure center of balance things like stiff legged dead lifts, might be a little hard for you right now, but a bench press might not be. (who says you have to use a bench? Like Utah Kat says, why not use your bed?)

But I agree with you, even if certain excercises are beyond your current ability, movement and small steps are the key to getting better and things becoming easier.