View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 10:22

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

That's the thing, Karen. Nitrates occur naturally in vegetables and they convert to nitrites in your mouth.

At least that's what I understood from the two articles. And all the other ones I read (there were quite a few) said pretty much the same plus there is no conclusive evidence that nitrates/nitrites cause cancer.

I figure an occassional dinner frank won't hurt. It's not like I eat lots of processed meats, especially since I don't generally care for them. But I love my Ruebens and those dinner franks make a good-tasting meat for my breadless Ruebens.

But I do believe that we should limit processed meats because they are usually so high in salt and can cause stalls. I make my own chorizo so it's lower in salt, has no preservatives, and it tastes better than any I have bought yet.

I'm not trying to convince our friends that they should go out and eat lunchmeat all the time. But it's good to read about it and make our own decisions. I started this because TSP says not to eat nitrates but doesn't mention nitrites. I was told that they're the same, but I found out that they're not, although they are related.

;-Deb