#7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

Hi PJ-
You are really on a roll! I am enjoying your articulate posts everywhere this AM. Thanks for sharing!

I'll share my exercise experience and hope it may help you. My starting weight was 370; tomorrow at weigh-in I hope to hit 310.
I have many arthritic joint problems, exacerbated by obesity of course: tendinitis in both ankles, knee problems including torn meniscus, and all the other vague aches, pains and boo-boos that go along with being morbidly obese. Exercise for me is indeed literally a pain in the ass!

OK- it hurts, and at 370, it was almost impossible. While I had the musculature to walk 3 miles, after a mile stuff started to hurt, and I was not a happy camper. But I KNOW that I have to exercise, discomfort or not. So here is what I did to start:

Get yourself a couple of small dumbbells, the coated kind that are easy on your hands. I started with 5 lbs but if you have not been exercising at all, try much smaller. The point is to get something small enough so you can do lots of repetitions and get a cardio benefit, but heavy enough to also have it be weight training. Then.....(this is the part you will love!) GET IN BED! I even turn the TV on to keep from getting bored. Then work out an upper body exercise routine waving those dumbells around, as many reps as you can, every other day, to allow time for healing between sessions. There are lots of websites out there to give you ideas. This will work out both arms and back/chest muscles. Then do leg lifts- on your back, and on your side. So what if you can only do a few- that's better than none, and you will quickly improve!

This is just to get you started- later on, you can become a "purist" in your routine and edge into regular weight training- the point is to start with something easy, comfortable, and non-stressful to already stressed joints! Hey, even at 310 (I am 6 ft tall) I can't kneel on a weight bench or get down on the floor. Well, maybe I could get down, but I'd have to call the fire department to get up! Most exercise tapes assume you can do that!

Another idea for you....Go to your local thrift shop, and look at the row of torture implements (excuse me, exercise equipment) all lined up there, with incredibly cheap price tags on them! You will probably see at least one "Cardio-Glide" there- kinda a cross between a rowing machine and stationary bike, with a gadget to increase the tension, and thus the workout. They have a big, comfortable seat, and no weight-bearing is involved, so there goes THAT excuse! When I stated using the Cardio-Glide, I could only do 10 pulls- isn't that pitiful?? Now I am up to 10-20 minutes, and only stop when I have knee pain. Now, I didn't say you would LIKE it, but a really heavy person can DO it!!

For the so-called Atkin's "Diet", or any other plan, to work, it has to be incorporated into a new way of life, something you can actually DO, and make part of your routine. Sorry gal, "I don't have time" won't work. I know...I tried THAT! I have 3 jobs and a real life too, but I had to MAKE time.....I am worth it!! I have also learned not to listen to my lying-sack-of-you-know-what-body, that whines, wimps around, and says "I can't...I'm too tired.....I'm too busy....I hurt too much..." Ha ha ha ha ha! I try to do my exercise first thing when I get up, before my brain wakes up and starts coming up with inventive excuses!

Hope these ideas help- I am living proof that exercise does work. Oh, I left out the really good part- the "dessert" so to speak....you willfeel really really good after you work out! You will have Sooooooooo much more energy, and feel almost euphoric- definitely worth it.

Kat