View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 13:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 135/125/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default A Moment on Depression and Fat

Hey Guys, I spent many years being depressed and fat and I've come to learn that, for me, the actual depression changes your body chemistry in such a way that you actually put weight on. So, what comes first? It's hard to tell because things generally turn into a vicious cycle. Fat leads to depressed leads to more fat leads to more depressed, etc., etc.

Well maybe consider this. I've kept my weight rather low the last 15 or so years, but it's because I was off and on depression medication. I didn't have a bunch of weight to lose when I ran into "Protein Power", but I was still struggling and now that I'm a bit older it's getting even harder. I also wanted off my depression medication because it has some funky side effects that are tough to take. Plus it seemed like the more carbs I ate the hungrier I was (like a raging lunatic by 11 a.m.!) and I was starting to be tired all the time. Anyway, I picked up the book and saw where the Eades referred to "depression being the result of insulin sensitivity." Holy Moly!!! I jumped all over that. Because, I think, if you're depressed you not only crave more carbs (and you do - I mean, who binges on pork chops?), and your body chemistry holds onto more fat because your Brain Chemistry is messing with it. So, I've made some incredible discoveries since starting the low-carbing!!! I learned that if you not only cut the carbs, but add cod liver oil (it's really yukky, but heck, what's to lose?!), extra calcium, magnesium citrate (or chelate), and B complex you can actually MANAGE your depression which is keeping you overweight!

And guess what, after almost 6 months IT'S WORKING!!!! I'm off the meds, quit smoking (and you know you ALWAYS gain weight when you do - why do you think I continued to smoke?!!), and have more energy than I know what to do with!!!! I also just ordered a book on Omega Fatty Acids (which fish oil is jammed with, oh, and also flax seed oil) because they're calling these things the latest breakthrough in treating depression!!!

Ok. My point is, is that maybe by getting rid of the blues you won't be so hard on yourself while you're dropping your weight. And you know you're going to lose the weight because this diet works!!!

I'll keep you posted on my personal experiment if you want.