View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:48

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Get a good low carb cookbook and diversify ! Buy whatever is on sale that day and learn a new recipe.

There was a good book I bought recently called low-carb meals in minutes. It's really well designed with complete menus, a convenient shopping list and of course the recipes themselves which are always quick and don't require a zillion ingredients.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...g=2#reader-link

Learn to love fish. Fish is often pretty cheap I find in the supermarket. And there are a million and one way to prepare it. Also it's really good for you.

Ground beef is pretty cheap too and can make a lot of different things.

Eggs are great. They are really cheap. Make frittatas, deviled eggs, crustless quiches, there are a ton of ways to prepare them.

Make a bit extra and keep the leftovers for another meal. Always seem cheaper this way to me.

When it's on sale, buy extra meat to freeze.

But I know what you mean. My first monthly grocery bill while lowcarbing cost me 500$. And I didn't have to stock up or anything. It was all just meal ingredients. I'm working on trying to cut that down. This is when you realize why the poor is often overweight, and why there is so much crap served in restaurants. It's EXPENSIVE to eat well.