Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 01:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue L
I really have been thinking ahead (holidays?) and gingerbread has been on my mind to have in some form or another. But as might be expected, molasses is a BIG player there. I came across some Da Vinci sugar free gingerbread syrup. I have had the full sugar version in times past for lattes, etc. I think it could add plenty of flavor in certain recipes. I can't recall if it was overly "spicy" tasting but will see when I get it to find out if it is good for other things.

I can speak to the DaVinci; I must say, I think their Gingerbread flavour is mild and the spice flavours just don't come through very strongly, and the molasses flavour is just not a strong note in there. I stick to the 'pumpkin pie spice blend' for those flavours when I need them.

On the other hand, their new Spice Blend flavour has considerably more spiciness and character, and would be more useful though still the flavour would need boosting unless you used a tremendous lot. Of course, a little tiny bit of real molasses works well to do that boosting. I have an ancient carton the the blackstrap, it seems to keep forever and a very small amount does a tremendous job.

Although, I just have to try the coffee sub (roasted chicory root usually) with coffee and cocoa combo, that sounds like fun and a cool experiment!