#3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 15:13
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Karen:

I used to use the USDA database on their own site, but haven't been able to get onto it lately. I thought there was something wrong with the site. Thanks for clarifying that the online Carb Counter from this site uses the USDA database. Unfortunately, I was querying soy bean varieties and there aren't any listings for what I was looking for.

I normally don't "sweat the small stuff" like this, but became increasingly frustrated with conflicting and vast amounts of information about fiber. However, I never found anything really concise. It's always been a matter of simply subtracting the fiber from the carbs for me. The ECC hasn't been an issue for me because I just eat whole foods. Pretty much, the only thing I eat processed are the low carb tortillas, and they have the ECC specifically stated on the package. In fact, to be honest, I don't even count my carbs formally since weightloss is not my goal. I keep a food diary and my body has learned what the best amount of carbs for me is.

However, I got curious about significant differences for carb counts in soy beans (which I guess are mostly soluble fiber) and went looking for info. That's when I ran into all these differing opinion/rules about ECC.

So I think you are right, don't frant about it. I ate the black soy beans yesterday and it didn't kill me. In fact, it was the only time in awhile that I didn't begin feeling hungry shortly after my meal. After trying the LC tortillas, I realized that I do better if I have a high fiber/low carb meal, which meant black soy beans seemed to fit the bill nicely even though I have complicated my diet to an extent. So I will practice what I "preach" and follow what my body told me.

Thanks again for your help,
Wanda