View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/226/140
BF:
Progress: 28%

I agree...to a point. I think it depends on the doctor.

I usually have to be REALLY sick to go to the doctor. But I was like that when I was thin, too. I do, however, know that there are certain screening tests that I have to drag myself in for (specifically, diabetes and thyroid tests).

The thing is, it took me a really long, long time to find the right doctor. I'm severely hypoglycemic. When I first started having problems with it, I was diagnosed as having panic disorder and promptly put on medications for it. (Of course, they didn't help.) When I did found a doctor who diagnosed the hypoglycemia, he didn't really know that much about how to control it. (Although, I have to give him credit for being ahead of his peers...most docs say it doesn't exist.) It took a really long time (and a great referral from a friend) to find someone who was truly knowledgable.

My gynecologist, on the other hand, has been super supportive. She'll burst into the room saying "How terrific...you've lost 20 lbs. since last time!" When I told her I was doing Atkins, she replied "That's worked really well for a lot of people."

Incidentally, I work for a medical association. I know several of the docs on my committees who are low-carbing in some way or another. (Including our president, who just started last week after seeing how well some of us were doing!) So, the wheels of change turn slow, but maybe they can educate some of their colleagues!