#8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 11:18

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally posted by latichever
Ludwig's research indicated that calories being equal those given low glycemic meals ate less at the next meal and requested fewer snacks than a group on a high glycemic diet.

Other researchers are wondering if you could add more carbs as long as they are slowly digested, i.e., high fiber.

That's basically what my method is : eliminating all refined food and replacing them with their high fiber (i.e. whole-grain) equivalent and favoring naturally whole foods like legumes.

There was an interesting study done on the method by a Cardiologist. 12 overweight men were put on 3 different diets in succession. Each lasted 6 days with a 2 week break between each. Every meal was eaten at the study center. The first diet was your typical AHA-recommended low fat diet with no calorie restrictions, the second Montignac (no restrictions), the 3rd a calorie restricted low fat AHA diet.

They found that the men on the lowfat diet consumed ~2798 calories, the men on Montignac ~2109 calories and on the lowcal/lowfat ~2 102 calories. What was interesting was that the first 2 diets set no limits with regards to quantities, yet people spontaneously consumed less with the Montignac method without feeling the least bit deprived, as was not the case for the last diet. Let's not even mention the first diet, as people actually gained weight on it.