Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 10:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi there Paulie,

I'll add to what the others have said.

Alternating a low-carb ketogenic diet such as Atkins with a low-calorie high-carb plan such as Weight Watchers could do some harm to the metabolism. Studies show that metabolic slow-down and suppression of thyroid function, esp. conversion of T4 to active T3 happens in less than one week while following a 1000 calorie diet, whether it's low or high carbs. Except the high-carb program had even more slowing of the metabolic rate, and less weight lost than when following a low-calories but low-carb regimen. I posted this to another member recently; you can read about it here.

It can take some people more than a week to get into active lipolysis (ketosis), especially if the previous diet was high carbs. The muscles and liver need to use up all stores of glycogen before insulin levels will go down. Putting high-carbs from fruits, grains and starches into the body every other week for a whole week, will basically inhibit the metabolic benefits of a low-carb diet. Some athletes do utilize a planned carb-up for 48 hrs every week alternating with ketogenic low-carbs .. in order to build up muscle glycogen stores .. However, they do this in combination with a rigorous exercise regimen of combined cardio and weight-training, in order to build muscle and burn fat. You can read more about this in our CKD forum (CKD = cyclical ketogenic diet).

Atkins is not the only low-carb diet. If it's just an issue that your friend wishes to have some fruits and greater variety of vegetables, there are other programs that may be a perfect fit for her, without having to flip-flop back and forth. Plans such as Protein Power Lifeplan or Schwarzbein Principle may be more do-able for her. Click on "Which low-carb plan is right for me?' from the Quick Links column to the right. You'll find reviews of several low-carb plans, with menus. Perhaps there's a good fit for your friend.

Doreen