#47   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default running

Wbahn, and the others of you who said you used to keep your weight off by running and when you quit you gained at a phenomenal rate. I'm wondering did you ever read "Protein Power?"

In the chapter he has on excercise he describes that EXACT situation and even has photos of a guy who did just that. Four photos in fact. In the first one he is thin as a rail and running a LOT, in the second one he is WAY fat and it was taken only about a year or two after he stopped running. In the third he had started weight lifting and is very built, had lost all the fat, had been doing low carb and weight training and looked extremely good only 6 months later. In the fourth he was no longer working out on a regular basis, but had maintained his weight and his muscle mass.

Dr Eades explained it that runners tend to metabolize their muscles, inadequate protein and all that running makes them lose muscle mass which makes it really easy to gain weight. They manage to keep their bodies active and their metabolisms reved because of all the movement, but as soon as they slow down they gain at a phenomenal rate.

I urge you both to read what he has written and also to start some weight training. Building muscle is the best way to keep the calories burning themselves up even when you aren't working out.

About 10 to 12 years ago, I was lifting and lost about 50 pounds from doing that only. Not dieting. I'm older now and have to do both, but I am HOPING to break through this stall I've been at for about two years. I know I have more muscle mass now. It should start kicking in and working for me any time now.... I hope I hope.