View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 13:15

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Protein Breakfast Bars to Go

I have been so tired of all the sugar-alcohol filled protein bars on the market that seem to just stall my progress, and make my stomach upset. So I decided to do a little research and make my own. I modified this a little from 500 Low Carb Recipes by Dana Carpenter. She uses peanut butter. My recipe has many goodies in it and uses almond butter which is a lower carb nut than peanuts. I did the stats on this using MY PLAN and the carb count is about 7 carbs per bar, but I know their count is wrong because it did not have the correct fiber count for the almond butter or coconut flakes. I figure it is about 5 or 6 carbs per bar at most because there is at least 2 grams of fiber in each bar. It is high in good fats, but if you do not want to use full fat cream cheese, use low fat cream cheese or yogurt cheese instead. The carb count will be higher though. This bar with a cup of low carb milk or juice from Hood lasts me all morning. I hope you enjoy it.

Protein Breakfast Bars

1/4 cup butter (melted)
1/2 cup almond butter (make sure it has no sugar)
4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
1 1/2 cups vanilla whey protein powder (1 carb or less a scoop variety)
1 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons Splenda or other sweetner
2 ounces coconut flakes (unsweetened)
2 ounces low carb chocolate candy pieces (I use "At Last" because they are just like MnM's and are not made with sugar subsitutes that upset my stomach)

Mix everything except chocolate pieces into a large bowl very well until a dough forms ( I use a wooden spoon to mix because its a bit stiff), then add chocolate pieces at the end and mix again. Press into a square pan and freeze for 15 minutes. Cut into 9 equal pieces and wrap each in wax paper then store in large freezer bag.
Sponsored Links