#2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 13:37

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadLady
I just registered my Accu-Chek meter and they have a place where they tell you how many carbs you should eat based on your weight a lifestyle. I am 260 lbs and very sedentary. They told me I should eat 390 carbs a day.

If I eat that, I probably be dead by now. I sent an email telling them to stop telling sick people that. I can not believe they do something like that. Let's see what they have to say, if anything at all.

390 Carbs a day is right in line with the ADA's dietary recommendation for diabetics. Not that I agree with it. My dietician is still insisting that as a diabetic I should be having around 70 carbs per day, she is a little more progressive and is slowing coming around to the low carb benefits for diabetics but isn't quite there yet. She has had a hard time arguing her point with me since I have seen significant improvement in my Hba1c as well as significant weight loss. She will get there in time though, I just hope she brings my Dr along with her.

Excerpt from the ADA website:
Quote:
On average Americans eat around 40-45% of our calories as carbohydrate. This is a moderate amount of carbohydrate, not high. Currently some controversy about carbohydrates is raging due to a few new diet books. These books encourage a low carbohydrate, high protein and moderate fat intake. These diets are not in synch with the American Diabetes Association nutrition recommendations, which are based on years of research and clinical experience. In addition, these trendy diets are hard to follow year after year.