View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 17:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You know, Colleen....

You're within 15 pounds of goal. I think it might be time to start adding more veggies and some low glycemic fruits (mostly berries and some melon) back in. Try to avoid processed meats with sugars and fillers in them. Perhaps after several months of very low carb, your body is telling you that it's had enough and it's time to move into the ongoing weight loss phase where you slowly raise your carbs (refer to the chapter in DANDR on ongoing weight loss for specifics). Yes, it will slow your weight loss down but quick weight loss isn't the name of the game here. Good health is.
I'm not sure if most glucometers come with a list of what's considered normal (mine didn't), but normal ranges for fasting blood sugars are considered to be between 80 and 110. Some people can be a bit lower than that and feel fine. For me, if I start dropping into the 70's, I get symptoms of being hypo. Normal readings two hours after a meal would be below 140 (closer to 120 is better) and yes, it involves poking your finger, but it doesn't hurt for long. I'll give you a tip...don't use the alcohol wipes; it makes it sting more and will give you callouses on your fingers quicker. Just make sure you wash your hands with soap and rinse well before testing. Please keep in mind that I'm not a doctor (or even a nurse for that matter), but your symptoms sound more like hypoglycemia than diabetes. Your blood sugars would have to be VERY high to produce sweating and confusion, but not terribly low before you get the same symptoms. HTH