View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 16:15

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

A few observations:

First - Whether you decide to stay with it or abandon it is a personal decision that only YOU can make. Some people seem to be looking for permission to quit when they get discouraged as a way of ducking their responsibility for their own well-being. I don't get the feeling that you fall into this group, though.

Second - You only have a few pounds to lose - namely thirteen. And this is assuming that your stated goal weight is a reasonable one. How sure are you that it IS reasonable? Why do you know that you need to lose weight at all? I'm not saying you don't - I don't know. But many people, especially girls (and especially in America - I don't know about Singapore) have unrealistic goal weights and think they are fat even when they are where they should be. It's an unhealthy cultural bias shared by many cultures around the globe. So I would recommend giving that some real thought but, for now, let's assume that 101 is a reasonable target weight.

Third - You are doing about par for LC. In the first two to four weeks most people lose about 10% of the weight they need to lose which, for you, would be just a bit over one pound.

Fourth - It sounds as though you haven't been able to find a copy of the book. You may or may not be sticking to Atkins properly. I highly recommend starting a journal here and putting your meals, exercise, thoughts and concerns in it. We cna much better lend encouragement and support then.

Fifth - It is very common for people to "stall" sometime between the second and sixth week for at least a couple of weeks. The body has a lot of adjusting to do and it needs to be given the time to do it.

Sixth - You do not want to eat below your BMR. If you do, your body senses this and goes into a starvation mode by slowing down your metabolism. This slowdown can become very long term and take quite a while to reverse - it's very possible that you body was in this mode for quite a while before you even started LC if your prior efforts relied on calorie restriction.

Seventh - You shouldn't be doing the Fat Fast at ALL given how long you've been trying LC. Doing so this quickly just confused your body even more and can hamper your efforts.

Eighth - As Atkins says, if you are not exercising then you are not doing Atkins. It is an important part of the plan which some people simply can't succeed without.

So, my suggestion is that you:

1) Start that journal.
2) Develop and start some type of exercise program.
3) Try to find the book or ask lots of questions in your journal if you can't.
4) Stick to the Induction program to the letter.
5) Commit to sticking to Atkins for at least six weeks (on either Induction or the first stage of OWL - forget the Fat Fast).

Good luck and Keep the Faith!