#6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289/257/180 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:42.1%/38.3%/26.2%
Progress: 29%
Unhappy

Hi Poofie,
This is my VERY FIRST POST here with Active Low-Carbers!

You said that (not an exact quote) that we should find out how people ate in the past. My thoughts exactly, and what really opened my eyes a bit a few years ago was the "Little House" series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My daughter had been given the whole set as a gift, and having watched the TV program, was interested in reading the series. One of the most interesting things to me was to read about what they ate! In the winter time, it was mostly game that had been hunted, squirrel, rabbit, occasionally a deer, and whatever had been salted or smoked or in some other way preserved for the winter. They also had a milk cow, and that of course supplemented their diet. They talked of how they could hardly wait to plant in the spring in order to have vegetables in the summer. I don't recall her doing a lot of canning type preserving, but that doesn't mean that it was mentioned. But their diet was predominantly meat. The hardest winter for them was when they had almost nothing to eat except bread. It was severely cold and they had to grind their wheat into flour daily. But the main point of course is their reliance on meat for most of their diet.

Sharon