View Single Post
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 09:12

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%

I go to Weight Watchers these days, and I like it -- it really kickstarted my weight loss. I had lost about 90 pounds on my own, and I had plateaued for several months, and I was losing interest. I was terrified that I would start regaining the weight, so I searched around for alternatives. WW is a terrific program that allows you the freedom to eat however you want (within reason). Their new "core" program is a clean eating plan that works very well for most people. Unlimited meats, veggies, fruits. If you don't want to do that, their "points" plan is still there, and with that, you count points. You need to get in a certain amount of dairy (for calcium) and healthy oils, but other than that, you are on your own. Joining WW was great for me. I started in early March, and have lost 40 pounds, bringing my total to ~135 pounds total!

I am not the type of person that can stick with a program if it's not working well for me. I've vowed to be at or near my goal weight by the end of this year, and I've vowed to run a half marathon in January, and I will do what it takes to reach these goals. If it means embracing a different eating plan every week until then, so be it!

You can attend a WW meeting without committing to the program, and I would encourage you to do this. Another plan that I think highly of is Nutrisystem. It's now a low-glycemic program that is completely online -- you just buy the food -- no registration fees. I buy the food and combine the tenets of both WW and NS. Like I said, you do what works, and this works very well for me. If it doesn't work, I stop doing it. I "fired" the Atkins plan when it didn't work well for me. Why keep doing it if it bores you or doesn't work?!

We're all different, and different things work for different people. I did the Suzanne Somers program about 4 years ago, and lost absolutely no weight at all. But I know people on this site who have done beautifully with it. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you. Good luck!