View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I'm glad I spotted this thread!

Tuesday I'm going back to the RE to get results from last week's bloodwork. I have both PCOS and hypothyroidism, and I'm currently taking 1000 mg of Metformin a day and 75 mcg of Synthroid. I've been on Synthroid for four months now - I started at 50 mcg and after the first month was increased to 75 mcg. I've been on Met for 3 months, and Tuesday will be the first time I see the doc since I started taking it.

I fully expect him to increase both medications Tuesday. He told me when he prescribed the Met he'd increase it gradually, so I suppose that one is a given. The Synthroid, on the other hand, I'm guessing will be increased simply due to how I'm feeling. When my dosage was first increased, I had lots of energy and felt great. Now, my energy is once again lacking and my temperatures are back down around 96.

I keep hearing about how Synthroid isn't the best choice - some go so far as to say it's dangerous. My knowledge of thyroid functioning is limited at best, but I'd love to be able to gather enough info on alternatives to present to the doc Tuesday. What thyroid medications have you all had the most success with? Which ones would you recommend I steer clear of?