View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/197/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think Lisa might have your answer. How many grams of carbohydrates are you getting per day?

Because of a family history of diabetes I started monitoring my blood sugars about 2 weeks after starting Atkins. My pre-Atkins fasting blood sugar was 95. At induction levels of carbohydrates, (15 to 20 average) my sugars were generally reading in the low to mid 60s with occasional jumps into the low 70s. Post exercise levels were as low as 52. I never had any real symptoms of hypoglycemia, even at 52, but my tail was really dragging.

I started slowly raising my carb levels to an average of about 30 but wasn't seeing any difference in BG readings. Readings never varied more than arround 5 points before or after meals. I started monitoring my temperature after reading about it in several posts on this site. I wish I had readings from before Atkins, but I don't. With carbs around 30 and FBS at 62 my morning temperature was 96.6 for 2 days in a row. I experimented yesterday and upped my carbs (low glycemic) to a total of 60 to see what would happen. My sugars last night maxed out at 71. This morning's FBS was 69 and my body temperature was up to 97.6. This may just be a coincidence, but I'll keep tracking these parameters to see if there is a correlation.

Get a meter and find out what is really going on.

Every time I think I'm getting close to the answer the question changes.

Good luck,

Larry