#9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%
Default TSH IS NOT NORMAL!

I was so frustrated to see all of the posts indicating that your TSH of 3.51 was normal!

First off, the TSH test does NOT test your thyroid gland - but your pituitary gland. The theory is, the more Thyroid Stimulating Hormone that your pituitary produces, the less active your thyroid gland must be.

There are several problems with this as a sole indicator of thyroid functioning:

First, every single person has different optimal levels that they function off. So, having a test that looks as numbers falling within a fixed range does not account for our individualized differences.

Second, this test has a varying amount of accepted ranges. Some doctors say it is 0.5 to 5.5, or 1.5 to 6.5 . . . there is no single acceptable range.

I tested consecutively at 2.8 and 2.5 for four years - but I displayed all of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid. I was repeatedly dismissed as NORMAL [because my blood tests said I should be feeling fine, a doctor could tell me I was normal, despite my repeated complaints of NOT FEELING NORMAL!]

I found an article in the BMJ that states that anything above a 2.0 is indicative of hypothyroidism. Further, hypothyroid sufferers above normally accepted ranges normally feel regulated when brought between 1.0 and 2.0.

Furthermore, the TSH test does not take into account several other very important issues that can result in hypothyroidism:

1) The thyroid gland is functioning NORMALLY, but there are a high amount of binding proteins making the produced hormones ineffective;

2) The thyroid gland is functioning NORMALLY, but the body is fighting the hormones produced in the form of reverse T3 [or the like]

3) The thyroid gland is producing normal amounts of T4, but is not translating the T4 into T3 properly or adequately.

This is why you NEED to get a variety of blood tests. Not only TSH, T4, and T3, but also Free T4 and Free T3, and reverse tests, too.

Even more important than blood tests, though, is your body temperature. This is the best indicator of hypothyroidism. If your body temperature is routinely below 98.0, then this is a sign of hypothyroidism. The further below 98.0, the more likely and the more extensive the imbalance is.

My mother has had diagnosed hypothyroidism for over 20 years. When only on Synthroid [purely a T4 replacement, and therefore ineffective] her temperature was usually below 97.0. When my doctor put my mom on a T4/T3 combination, in addition to losing 11 extra pounds, her body temperature rose and she noticed an increase in hair growth and texture.

I finally found a doctor online that was referred by other hypos, and I was able to find one that was able to read the entire hormonal picture. Since starting meds over a year ago, my life has entirely turned around. I have energy now, and I have hair! I have been able to lose weight by diet and exercise, whereas before I was jogging 5.0 miles a day and eating just canned vegetables and still gaining weight.

The temps and the TSH you posted suggest that this might very well be an issue for you, too. Don't let everyone else convince you that it is all in your head, or not a real problem. This is very real, but unfortunately, underrecognized and undertreated.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME PERSONALLY if you have any questions. I know how it feels to be told by the entire world you are NORMAL when you do not feel normal!

Best Wishes,

Margaret