Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%
Default Misleading!

Hey!

I've personally found that endocrinologists are usually extremely unhelpful to hypothyroid sufferers. This is because they are so used to seeing extreme problems relating to hormones, i.e., cancer of the thyroid, that when someone comes in with just a slightly off-kilter thyroid gland, it is NOTHING compared to what they are used to seeing! I have found that you get much more help when you go to someone who is recommended by other hypo-thyroid sufferers.

I found Mary Shomon's "Top Doc Directory" to be quite helpful. I found my doctor from her site, which posts recommended doctors from local readers. My personal concern was testing "within normal" on my TSH test, but still displaying all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism [specifically, having a significant family history of the disease]. This site enabled me to choose a doctor who responded to my specific issue in a way I preferred.

Since then, I have formed a solid relationship with my doctor, who is helping me fight this awful problem! Since this is a problem that doesn't go away, you need to constantly be aware of your body and any changes you experience. My doctor is helping me with the regulation aspect of it, after initial and immediate improvements. I am so thankful for him - I keep telling him that I am writing him into my will or naming a firstborn after him!!

If I were you, I would not continue seeing a doctor that I did not like. Not for something so personal and permanent as an off-kilter thyroid gland! I would definitely consider checking out Mary Shomon's site at www.thyroid.about.com and look for a doctor in your area that was referred on by a real live thyroid sufferer.

If you want to e-mail any questions to me, please do so. I'll do whatever I can to help anyone find the right next step for them, because I know how isolating and frustrating it can feel to be all alone on your way there!

Margaret :-)